Netflix's logistics suppliers have different requirements for shipping, importing, and customs processes that are specific to each country in which an ISP might operate. During the engagement process with Netflix, the shipping specifics for your country will be reviewed with you and agreed upon.
Before shipping OCAs to your facility, the Netflix team pre-configures the appliances and fills them with the latest content. To avoid having the pre-filled content become stale, thereby requiring an extended high-traffic initial fill period, it is highly recommended to get the appliances online as soon as possible. You will be asked to confirm site readiness before any OCAs are shipped to you.
To facilitate smooth delivery and installation, you will be directed to an online site survey form before shipment where you can specify the final configuration details of your appliances. In this form, you will provide information such as:
- Site addresses
- Shipment contacts
- IP configuration details (IPv4, IPv6, default gateway, and so on)
- BGP configuration details (IPv4, and IPv6 if applicable)
- Type of rack rails (2-post vs 4-post)
- Power supply types (AC vs DC, plug type)
- Optic types (LR-SM, SR-MM)
Each appliance is shipped with the rail kits and power supplies that you specify in the online form and fiber patch cables are provided upon request to connect the 10G interfaces from the OCA to your router.
Requirements for receiving an appliance shipment are roughly as follows. Specific requirements will be communicated to your logistics team by the Netflix logistics team before the shipment.
|Estimated appliance weight||100 to 125 pounds (45 to 57 kg)|
|Estimated weight of pallet and shipping materials||63 pounds (29 kg)|
|Loading dock and jack||Upon request, Netflix will ensure delivery trucks arrive with a pallet jack and lift gate if a loading dock and jack are not available at the destination.|
|Inside delivery||Inside delivery can be requested.|
|Consistent room temperatures||No higher than 78°F (26°C)|
|Maximum room temperatures||No higher than 104°F (40°C) for very short periods of time only|
Racking and installation
Netflix ships each OCA to your requested location ready to deploy. As soon as you receive your OCA shipment, you are responsible for:
- Racking the appliance
- Providing the necessary 2-4 x 10Gbps optical network connections (exact quantity depends on the appliance type)
Reminder: As mentioned earlier, because the content that is pre-loaded onto the appliances can become stale quickly, you should complete the installation as soon as possible.
- For storage OCAs, which constitute most ISP installations, optics face the cold aisle.
- For offload (flash) appliances, which are typically only used in very large deployments, optics face the hot aisle.
OCAs are either 2- or 4-post friendly. Rail kit instructions can be accessed online:
If you are using DC power, follow these supplemental instructions:
- Elevated Operating Ambient: If installed in a closed or multi-unit rack assembly, the operating ambient temperature of the rack environment may be greater than room ambient. Therefore, consideration should be given to installing the equipment in an environment compatible with the maximum ambient temperature (Tma) specified by the manufacturer.
- Reduced Air Flow: Installation of the equipment in a rack should be such that the amount of airflow required for safe operation of the equipment is not compromised.
- Mechanical Loading: Mounting of the equipment in the rack should be such that a hazardous condition is not achieved due to uneven mechanical loading.
- Circuit Overloading: Consideration should be given to the connection of the equipment to the supply circuit and the effect that overloading of the circuits might have on overcurrent protection and supply wiring. Appropriate consideration of equipment nameplate ratings should be used when addressing this concern.
- Reliable Earthing: Reliable earthing of rack-mounted equipment should be maintained. Particular attention should be given to supply connections other than direct connections to the branch circuit (e.g. use of power strips).
OCA returns and replacements
If an OCA is defective upon receipt, Netflix will send a Return Material Authorization (RMA) replacement appliance.
In the event of a hardware failure, please contact Netflix NOC for assistance.
After the initial installation, the next step is to establish a BGP session with the appliance, following the network configuration instructions. After the appliance is initially brought on-line, you notify the Open Connect Operations team by responding to the email notification that they send prior to each shipment. The Operations team will configure each OCA to receive fill traffic. Assuming that the appliance was installed within a reasonable amount of time after receipt, the fill process generally takes about two days. If installation was delayed, the fill process can take longer.
The appliance will not start serving client traffic until both you and Netflix have agreed that the system is healthy and ready to serve, and when acceptable offload can be achieved. When the system is ready, the Netflix Open Connect operations team will enable the system to serve clients and will continue to monitor its performance.
Back to top
© 2016, 2017 Netflix, Inc. All rights reserved.